10 truths I believe about GodBy Christine Sine
Over the last few weeks I have spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of God I believe in. This is a practice I like to do regularly, affirming my faith and my trust in God in the process. Here is a beginning place in my ponderings…
1) YAHWEH is a God of love and goodness. This is the foundation of my faith. I don’t always understand what God is doing, but I am more than ever convinced that, as Paul says, nothing can separate us from the love of God (Rom. 8:31-39).
2) In Jesus Christ, God took on flesh and dwelt amongst us. He is not the only revelation of God in this world but the fullest revelation of God that we have; through him we can come to understand God more fully (John 14:6).
3) God sent the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, an advocate who will never leave us but will lead us into the truths of God (John 14:15-21).
4) God’s desire is the restoration and renewal of all things, and this will be accomplished through the redeeming work of Christ our Savior (John 3:15-17).
5) God is merciful and forgiving, desiring that all people will repent of the sins that distract and separate them from his presence and longing to draw all of us into a loving and intimate relationship with himself. God, the good shepherd, lovingly pursues us, the “sheep” that stray, and does everything possible to restore each of us to a loving relationship with himself.
6) God is just and righteous and is working to establish an eternal world of peace and wholeness in which justice and righteous reign forever.
7) God is faithful and true and will always fulfill what he has promised, though sometimes the fulfillment of these promises may look very different from what we expect.
8) God is a God of abundance who wants to and is able to provide lavishly and generously for all our daily needs.
9) God is compassionate and caring, with a heart that aches for every suffering person in our world.
10) God is a creator and not a destroyer, bringing into being all that is good and true and just.
What are the truths that hold you strong in your faith?
Christine Sine is executive director of Mustard Seed Associates, a small organization founded by her and her husband, Tom Sine, to assist churches and Christian organizations to engage the challenges of the 21st century. She writes at God Space, where this post originally appeared.
Comment on the blog post 10 truths I believe about God
Please keep comments civil. MWR editors reserve the right to remove any comment. When posting a comment, you agree to the MWR Comments Policy. Name and comment will be posted; commenters are strongly encouraged to give their full name. Email address is for follow-up only and will not be made public.